The Artists of MYTH AMERICA(NA) DECONSTRUCTING AMERICA(NA) CULTURE AND IMAGERY

Myth America(NA), Deconstructing Americana Culture and Imagery
A contemporary fine art group exhibition by curator Rolando Chang Barrero


RSVP


The Box Gallery

811 Belvedere Road, West Palm Beach, Florida 33405

Reception: November 5th, 2022 7-10 PM

Exhibition dates October 29-November 26, 2022

Myth America(NA), Deconstructing Americana Culture and Imagery a contemporary fine art group exhibition by curator Rolando Chang Barrero.
This exhibition explores aspects of real and imagined popular culture in
The United States of America between 2016-2022.


Reception: November 5th, 2022 7 PM

Exhibition Dates: October 29 though November 26, 2022

Details : www.TheBoxGallery.Info



Kijak Zbigniew
Marilyn Monroe  27 x27in

Zbigniew “Zee” Kijak is an American artist, born in Poland, who currently lives in south Florida.  He moved to Chicago, IL in 1978 where he lived until his move to Florida.  His other art includes photography, digital photography, and acrylic painting. His work has been displayed at “Art at the Airport” at Palm Beach International Airport, Art Continuum-West Palm Beach and the “Art Boca Raton” International Art Show.  



Kijak Zbigniew
Oprah  22 x 36in.


I use dollar bills as my medium to create currency collages because of money’s power to be a beneficial or harmful resource. 


Money, very much like water, is a necessity and can serve in amazing ways.  Both can be very destructive or empowering.  For example, we all need water to survive, but we see the destructive forces of water in floods.  In my first currency collage I used the medium to capture Governor Blagojevich who represents a dark side of the corrupt use of money for political purposes.   Also, money inspires us to create and build a better lifestyle.  I use the paper dollar as my medium to create portraits of known personalities who exhibit this resource.



______________________


Daniel Perry

Daniel Perry is an award winning photographer who has 25+ years in commercial and fine art photography. He has contributed to many major magazines and has three coffee table books to his credit. Over the last decade his photographs have been exhibited in more than thirty five invitational and solo gallery shows on both the East and West coasts. He was interviewed for television's Entertainment Tonight in New York and Comcast Television in Los Angeles. His photographs are in the permanent print and picture collections of the Philadelphia Free Library. Daniel Perry obtained his Bachelor of Fine Arts in photography from the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. His work then took him to Paris to work for Marie Claire magazine. In pursuit of his art, he migrated to New York, by way of Hollywood. Daniel is currently residing in Palm Beach.

______________________





Carlos Joao Alvarez Guerra

"Together But, Not Mixed" 48" x 32"

Carlos Joao Alvarez-Guerra Gonzalez is a Cuban visual artist whose surrealistic works examine, not just the subconscious, but the social conscious.

______________________


Maria Zeiour
"Under The America Blue Sky"  60" x 48"

Under The America Blue Sky

This painting is perhaps the most significant work I had ever produced. American history is unique in so many aspects.  I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and this journey gave me an opportunity to explore Americana history - where we've been, where we are and where we can be.

Behind the veils of the Americana myth,
we find the harrowing stories of Africans, Native Americans and African Americans that have paved the road for this generation of Americanas. 

But, it was impossible for me to create an artwork  without depicting their truth. Telling their story, -our story, was painful, to the point of tears.  Their story was my story. Their oppression, my oppression.  Their pain, my pain.  And from this shared consciousness, each brush stroke met with this canvas.

Our ancestors suffered the inhumane punishment for the crimes of their pigmentation and their self awareness.  Yet their suffering was not in vain.  Their courage, commitment and dedication to justice inspired the hearts of many in their day to stand for the rights of the marginalized, to make their voices heard to open the doors of change, to freedom, to hope, to a new day. 

Time passes. A sense of change. Evolution.

As society evolved, our consciousness had not.  History was forgotten.  America was becoming.  The industrial revolution gave way to unbridled capitalism.  Slavery took a new form.  American history has always been marked with a fight for freedom, equal rights and justice.  Even today.

The Americana Myth is that we are isolated, separate from each other.  This is not true.  Many of us carry the blood line of our Native American and African ancestors.   As multiracial people flourish, the truth is we are one.

The path forward for Americana lies in education - ours and our children.  It is there for taking.  Our ancestors have paid for it with their blood.

Reflecting on the past and present, much progress has been made. And I am forever grateful. However ideological politics, economic shackles and societal pressure keep us in a systemic loop of modernized slavery. Like the sands of time inside an hour glass, we are held in the Great American Dream.

 




Jeffery Wiener
“The Immigrants”, 9” x 12”

Americans live and function in a world of contradictions.
We create myths of success and social progress where realism and pragmatism are needed most. The uniquely American quest to acquire “The American Dream” is an illusion that drives and divides Americans in their pursuit of an allusive “Happiness”, which is difficult to achieve for individuals in this land that values Freedom above all other values. We speak of the ideals of Individual Freedom to dress up our selfish ambitions to win at the expense of “Others”. This working philosophy is rooted in an Individualism that rejects conforming to Community, rejects sharing resources, and seeks to benefit only the Self. Naturally, Community is where stability can be found, and with stability comes that happiness (or contentment). Is this type of Sharing possible in modern America? Was it ever part of our culture to Share Our Resources as if we were United? Will the next generation alter the priorities and embrace new values for what it means to be an American? Perhaps we need a new set of Myths for the next century.


______________________

Elaine Weber
ROE V. WADE: Lost at Sea. Last seen, June 24, 2022     40x20 (diptych)

 MYTH: Women are first class citizens in the USA 

Is a woman a person? How many women will now become criminals because they found a way to have an abortion? How many women will have the means to clandestinely terminate their pregnancy? 

Is a woman’s body her own? Is she only meant as a breeder? Are women to be punished because they want sovereignty over their own state of being? 

Women have lost the right to make autonomous decisions about their own bodies and reproductive functions. 

As a woman of Jewish faith, abortion is allowed under certain circumstances, though now the courts will not make allowances. On a personal note, I became pregnant even though I was using birth control. Unmarried, but in a relationship, which later became a marriage, the father and I together decided it was best not to become parents. I can’t imagine being the mother of a 50-year-old child. Because of the early stigma of unwed mothers, I never shared this with my family. 

Friends became my emotional lifeline during this difficult time. 

If Roe v Wade was about babies as politicians claim, “they would be fighting for more child benefits, not less. If it was about saving lives, they would be supporting universal health care, not trying to get rid of it and they would never back a policy that would lead to a 21 percent increase in maternal mortality.”—Liz Plank 


______________________




Sam Beach
The Coathanger

Sam Breach (she/her), a British-American Photographic Artist who explores emotion and narrative through portraiture.  

There is no compassion for women in the act of banning abortion. Help women, don’t hurt them. Empower women, don’t belittle them. Support women, don’t abandon them. Really support them. Listen to them. Give them equal pay. Provide child care. Create support systems. Be kind. Men: Don't force yourself on women. Treat women with respect. In the land of the free, the home of the brave, women deserve the freedom to have choices and to make their own decisions about their own bodies.

This self portrait was created during May of 2022 when news leaked that the US Supreme Court are preparing to reverse the landmark Roe v Wade ruling that protects the rights of women to have an abortion. Reversing the clock on this law and taking away the liberty of women to make their own choices about their bodies and their lives, puts the future health of American women in danger. 

Do we really want our country to regress to a time when women, with no where else to turn, would resort to attempting self -administered terminations of their unwanted pregnancies? I should hope that nobody wants to see that happen ever, again. As a country we must do so much better for our women. 


______________________




Diane C. Duvall
Southern Gravy Boats  3 @ 11"x6"x4" 
Diane C. Duvall
Strange Fruit Relish Trays  4 @ 12"x6"x1"

I am an artist, attorney and social critic.  Inspiration for my artwork tends to come from the news of the day, the ghosts of sexism and racism that continue to haunt us or from my countless court cases involving a
segment of society and a legal system that are at the breaking point.
 


While these topics may be difficult and even divisive, my work is not intended to provoke or antagonize, but to inspire others to confront their own acceptance or passivity that comes from overexposure to today’s social and political tensions and issues that are often uncomfortable to think about.

______________________

 

Carl Stoveland
What Cost Freedom?, 12x18"


In the language of photography there is a wide angle view and a close up macro view to seeing the world.  I believe it is the same for the life and work of all artists.  The close up macro view speaks to the drive to work every day to improve in their craft and expand the tools they have to interact with the world.  After 35 years as a photographer I reached a certain level of expertise.  Still I am constantly working to find new ways to tell stories.  This has led explorations in various other media including film, audio, podcasting painting and digital art.  We are all both students and masters at the same time. 


______________________



Serge Strosberg


______________________



Elle Schorr
Red, White and Business, 3 panels, each 8 ft high x 4 ft wide

"RED, WHITE, AND BUSINESS" explores the role of patriotism in American economic life.
From “Mom and Pop” businesses to major international corporations, the appropriation of red, white and blue, the symbolism of stars and stripes, and the words that symbolize the idealized / mythological greatness of the United States of America jump out at us from roadways and street signs nationwide.


Whether they exist as a matter of deeply held beliefs, or of calculated plan, is generally unknown and unknowable. Some have been part of our collective national subconscious for many decades, even centuries, modified to reflect current design and branding trends. Some, perhaps, are a reflection of post 9/11 feelings, and of personal experiences and reactions to the two subsequent wars. Some may be a reflection of a wish to identify as Americans in a country expressing great ambivalence about the role of immigrants, and yet made up of immigrants from every corner of the globe. Some may hope to convey a sense of national pride or identity in products and resources, whether "made in the USA" or brought to our shores from around the world.


______________________



Jamie Ricardo Rodriguez
"Where Eagles Dare, (Fact Check: Proverbs 16:18 NIV)" Detail 1, 52in x 70in x40in

Proverbs 16:18 NIV-  Pride goes before Destruction, and Haughtiness before a fall.


I would describe my work as being inspired by the historical significance of the landscape and the universality of the human condition in relation to environment. I am driven by my curiosity and inquisitive eagerness to investigate and chronicle narratives that involve the presence of animals for role play while incorporating architectural facades and construction elements.


These narratives can draw attention to many different topics, that can be interpreted in any way the viewer connects or might feel detached from the work. I want to evoke emotion and awareness of the individual  to confront the issue of how art functions within a particular set of social and cultural patterns, historical perspectives, and belief/faith systems, while maintaining a sense of humor and humility.



______________________




Mark W.Forman
NO MORE HOOPS, NO MOR JUMPING 30X24X1.5 

“Stimulating Thoughts, Interpretations, and Responses” is a series of paintings, still in progress, of thoughts and concerns

that have been “stewing and brewing” in my subconscious awaiting to be “born” in a tangible, visual manner.


The images reflect my concern for people, unfair situations, other disturbing misdeeds and misinterpretations, LIES, and various religiously-inspired
bullshit and brain washing.


I sincerely hope that you will find my new paintings thoughtful, meaningful, and perhaps strike a chord with ideas and thoughts that you may have already held.


______________________



Stacey Mandell
The New Constitution, 5'x7'

My artwork is premised on the historic writing system of Gregg Shorthand developed by John Robert Gregg in the late 1800s, the most popular form of pen stenography in the US. It distills the phonetics of spoken words into a series of pen strokes that I used throughout my legal career. I am the only artist who uses learned shorthand as an art form.

I begin with the text: the U.S. Constitution, poetry, speeches, and essays to name a few. 

I choose the medium and colors that best represent the text, and I transcribe to shorthand (paint) the text with brushstrokes or my own painting implements. When finished, you will see a narrative abstraction, a balanced composition that is as specific, yet organic, as a zen garden. And like a zen garden, you can relax into the pleasing and stimulating colors and appreciate the underlying thoughtfulness of each and every little line and object. My work touches on 


______________________



Craig McInnis
"Profits Are Up" 36"x48" 

"Profits are up"
Is an exploration of corporate greed gone all the way to crumbling our society's foundation. We are the fuel that powers the machines. As part of the "Captains of Industry" series,  it seeks to show common ground between many different political ideologies. This is not a question of Left or Right, but Wrong and Right. 


I feel blessed to have been given the gift of creativity and so I spend my days pouring over the process.
My work presents a unique set of challenges both personally and professionally, which has given me the opportunity to grow and explore. I create my art to stir up a visceral reaction in myself and the viewer, followed by moments of introspection and hopefully discussion.


______________________



Patricia Maguire
Her Story, 48X48

Painting is my passion, my therapy and my connection to the spiritual world.

I paint not only what I see, but how what I see impacts my emotions. Sometimes I am moved by the beauty of the nature that surrounds me.
 
Sometimes I need to paint an image that reflects
my reactions to events that I need to process.

And sometimes it is a person, or place that speaks strongly to me, and I need to capture in paint the feelings evoked.
Because my paintings are colored by emotion, my style can fluidly change from impressionistic to experimental.


______________________



Aaron Ligon
Lady Liberty, 87" x 48" 

My art is about exploration, to express the meaning of emotional experience rather than physical reality, allowing my intuition and process to take the lead. I seek to build something from nothing using the current environment as my intuition to express what is within myself. I seek to build something from nothing, and in the process symbols and images reveal themselves. I construct and deconstruct until I unravel an abstract "portrait of the moment." I paint, build, and layer, letting the painting happen while I follow it. With this approach, I hope to give the work a presence that will grip rather than release the viewer after only a glance. Thus, my paintings should catch the viewer in a web of revealing imagery and emotion, leaving each with his or her own idea of what they have seen, felt, and thought.

______________________



Kianga Jinaki
Reparations  49” x 54”

Reparations to the descendants of the enslaved is long overdue. The Native Americans have received reparations for lands lost. Japanese Americans placed in internment camps during WWII received reparations. Slave owners who were loyal to the union received immediate compensation for their freed slaves after emancipation, up to $300 per freed slave. And yet those freed from slavery often left to start a new life with just the clothes on their backs. 

When will we be paid for the work that was done?


______________________



Tanya Isaacson
She has a name, and it is 'Defiance' , 18x24

My work is an expression of emotion and state of mind. It is a record of events and people, both imagined and real. It can be allegorical, or simply straight-forward. It is the female experience, excerpts from my own life or based on my limited knowledge of other women known and unknown to me. It is light, it is dark; a study of life, the contemplation of death and the transitory state of everything that lies in between. I hope, at the end of it all, my work conveys strength, has the element of hope and peace. That it transcends differences and connects (with at least a few), on that commonality and
journey we all share, that is this very real human experience.
 


______________________



Renata Rodrigues

I am Renata Rodrigues and I am a visual artist. I graduated in Graphic Arts in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where I lived until 21 years young, working in the field since I was 15.

I have lived as an artist and art educator in the USA for the last 6 years, have shown my art in many local galleries, exhibits and events and also taught art at South Florida  schools as an arts integration teaching artist and privately from my studio. 

My art emerges from my love for the natural world and interest in human emotions. I love depicting facial expressions and bringing emotion and movement to my pieces. I feel like each artwork I make is a unique bundle of thoughts, feelings and medium experimentation. Working on small or large scale, public or commission works, I enjoy each creation process and I always give 110% of devotion to the project at hand. 



Renata Rodrigues

The SHELLHEADS series is a revisited concept from a piece I sold 6 years ago.  It’s a fun mix of colors, beautiful anatomy, Floridian lifestyle and societal taboos. Men in heels, a bit less of a taboo now, they stand strong and proud, but women still can’t show their nipples, they stand shy, covering their breasts. 

I wanted them to not be recognizable or look like anyone someone might know, hence the seashells for heads. Seashell art is something that has been part of my art for the last 7 years.



______________________



Twyla Gettert
Role Modeling, 10x15 

MAKE AMERICA BIG AGAIN- 

Political climate and misogyny- the narrative and images captured through this South Beach store window are ‘in your face’ and bring up the subject of self-objectification-- and the dichotomy- empowerment to be and do what you want with your body and express it.

The window displays weave many narratives about sexism, role models, objectification, consumerism, beauty, excess, and social norms.



______________________



Ken Harrison
End of the Road 16x20

______________________


Daniel Newcomb
It Works Out, 16 x 24

American Photographer (b. 1973) This exhibit represents a small portion

of over 30 years of my work- exploring the world’s forgotten

architectural sites. This has been an ongoing project since 1991. In

America, we tend to stucco over or tear down our past, and replace it with

subpar, soulless boxes. 

My intention is to artistically preserve these

structures. We should not forget these nostalgic series of dreams. They

are displayed here for our memories; for our children’s memories. As Jack

Kerouac said: “I realized these were all the snapshots which our children

would look at someday with wonder….”


______________________



Julian Acosta
Casper, 30"x40"

Contemporary Realism gives me range to embellish what is “contemporary” and what is “realism”. Do the scenes provide sufficient context to communicate the intended vibe? Do the compositions carry the eye to tease the imagination? Is the time and space where it all happens, hiding or revealing some truth about what, if anything, is unfolding. Are the people central to the scene, regardless of gender, relatable characters we have been or could be?


My intention for this series was to create playful paintings to engage viewers whimsical curiosity that reveal a truth about our own voyeuristic tendencies. 


I created each painting in the context of a key period of American culture using iconic design elements, furniture, placement and light as actors in a play. Specifically, “MightyMouse” is set in the 1940’s, “LoneRanger” in 1950’s and “Casper” in the 1960’s; these were all popular characters in my childhood.


______________________


Ignatius Blue
America is a woman's name, 41 inches x 49 inches

My Artworks doesn’t talk about “an” experience… each piece themselves is “an” experience”. 


______________________


Paul Abrams
Product Collage #1, 11" x 11"

Passionate about reclaimed materials and breathing second life into print media now considered old or irrelevant. Have a unique view of the world and how even the most uncommon objects can complement each other.


______________________


Mercedes Arensberg
Silvia y yo, 36 x 48

I have always been interested in topics of gender, motherhood, 

justice, race, the divine spirit and

our human condition. Having been raised in part by an
older brother who was gay and a friend of

my mother’s who was black, I learned...


how to be a mom from them just as much as from my

mom or self. Men being nurturing and feminine, race meaning something different to me than

what it might mean to those around me, and the life giving and altering power of the mother

which has historically been underestimated are partly what drive these three pieces.

My works depict a white mom with black babies, a black mom with a white baby, a lone woman

with a dangling umbilical cord, which has a distinct phallic quality, walking as she carries a

small inverted replica of the white house


Mercedes Arensberg
Mis bebes, 36 x 48


 

Comments

Popular Posts