Voyage MIA: Meet Rolando Chang Barrero



Meet Rolando Chang Barrero of The Box Gallery in West Palm Beach

I move out of South Beach and landed in Palm Beach County in 2010 where I have in a short 8 years re-established myself in the art world as a professional exhibiting artist, independent curator, public speaker, owner of The Box Gallery, ActivistArtistA Gallery, arts writer and publisher, founder of the award winning Boynton Beach Art District, I am the founder and president of 2 non-profit organization: The Florida Arts Association and Art Synergy, and most recently releasing a line of clothing and home accessories called Pajaro Paradise, as well as, lead television art and culture talk show host of Hola Palm Beach the first bilingual program in Palm Beach. County.

Read full story here:




Today we’d like to introduce you to Rolando Chang Barrero.

Rolando, please share your story with us. How did you get to where you are today?
I move to South Beach around 1980 and did the bartender/retail shuffle while doing some rock graphics and a bit of modeling for a few different companies. I eventually worked for designer Ted Lapidus in Bal Harbor Shops and later relocated to Beverly Hills, eventually working for Torie Steele who had just opened her boutique on Rodeo Drive.
After a few years I moved back to South Beach to finish my studies with lifelong mentors and art world provocateurs that had gather at Miami Dade College and opened a small art studio on Lincoln Road. Eventually moving again. This time I landed in Chicago. I lived and work in my studio in what is now the PilsenArt District and did many internships at amazing and vibrate art galleries including Latino Fine Art, Randolph Street Gallery, and Name Gallery to mention a few. While attending The School of the Art Institute of Chicago I received a number of honors, scholarships, degrees, and finally the coveted Ryerson Traveling Fellowship upon graduation. It was the Ryerson Fellowship that changed my world, by allowing me to visit Cuba in 199o with fellow Cuban artists for the first time. My experience there was so different, so enlightening, it opened my eyes to so many other realities. I created my thirst to explore the rich art and unique cultures of other countries. The fellowship money ran out and so I returned to Chicago to look for work. I was soon offered the position as Interim Gallery Director of Miami-Dade back in Florida so, once again I returned to South Beach to set up an art studio for the second time on Lincoln Road.
....continue reading


What I’m proud of and what sets me apart are the same. I love a good challenge and embrace my falls knowing I’ll find a different way to reach the summit of my life as a whole and complete human being without regrets.







Comments

Popular Posts